5/15/09

DETAILING, PRECISION WORK, STRAIGHT LINES

I have a steady hand. I don't use rulers. I rarely tape items off, and I take a lot of pride in never using stencils. That being said I'm a poor draftsman. My straight lines are straight enough for free-form freehand organic images (flowers, nature, fruit, fish, etc...) but anytime anything man-made, constructed and engineered enters the picture? I'm in trouble. Clean lines and sharp edges and perfect angles? Forget it. I created a few concept automotive sketches a design class in college and it was a huge joke. The work looked like looked like garbage. Too much precision and the execution was poor. I wasn't patient enough. Pre-taping seemed like a huge waste of time. At that time I felt it took all the energy out of the work. Too much prep. That's why these cassettes were a delightful surprise. I didn't mind taping the edges. (After I learned that Scotch Artist's Low Tack Artist's Tape really is superior to plain old "Scotch" Translucent Tape-and I learned that the hard way. One pull and half my paint came up with the adhesive)-it was fun figuring out a way to stamp the circles (I ended up using the bottoms of some old paint bottles and the cap of a pen) and I enjoyed the parameters of a technical object. Go figure, huh? Who knew?

10 comments:

  1. hi nice blog i hope you will follow my blogs to.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog! Your blog is great and I love your cassette paintings. Awesome!! Have a good weekend!
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tape cassettes. I agree - it's hard to draw man made things when you are used to drawing much more organic pieces. But you did a great job =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this....Streetish it has alot of history tied into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jara,
    I think this looks pretty darn great to me, as usual.

    If you haven’t had a chance to check out my blog recently, I wanted to let all my followers know that I’m embarking on a new challenge.

    Extremely Crafty is calling all crafters to unite against childhood cancer as part of our Craft Against Cancer challenge for the Royal Marsden Cancer Campaign.

    Help by doing what you love – crafting and we would love to tell the world about your efforts. We’ll post on our Fundraiser page your photo and link back to your blog or website.

    Read more at http://www.extremelycrafty.co.uk/Craft4cancer.html

    Best wishes, Jara! Michele x

    ReplyDelete
  7. guest blogger invitation

    Hello,

    This is Rose writing from www.huliq.com. I visited your blog and liked your content.

    Would you be interested to send us a guest post on any of the issues related to the topics that you cover in your blog. We will publish it in our site www.huliq.com

    In return with each guest blog we will give one link in the author's byline back to your blog. We only ask that the guest post ( we prefer it be a news coverage, sources can be Google News, CNN, MSNBC, Yahoo News, BBC and others) be a unique story and not be published in your blog.

    HULIQ is indexed by Google News and Google requires that the length of the unique news is at least 5 paragraphs. We desire it to be at least 6 paragraphs if possible. And that all need to be a unique content. Once you send us a new story totally unique we will immediately publish it with you link in it, and within 15 minutes it should be indexed by Google News.

    Also, please structure author byline as follows:

    author's name:
    author's e-mail:
    author's blog url:

    Please let me know if you may have any questions about www.huliq.com.

    If you want to consult the topic with me first that's perfectly fine as well.

    Many thanks
    ruzik.mail@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very good works .. congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete